Sensitive skin is an issue many of us face. Some of us are more prone to skin sensitivity than others. Your body's skin can become sensitive for many reasons such as external environmental to internal triggers - hormone changes. Skin sensitivity can also appear anywhere on the body, isn’t unusual or abnormal.
Here some symptoms that can indicate you have sensitive skin
at times that in conjunction
- burning and stunning
- feeling tightness
Our Skin is Protective
Healthy skin has a natural barrier which limits water loss and protects underlying layers from irritants. The skin has a number of triggers in place to protect itself and keep it healthy. The surface of the skin has a film known as hydrolipid which is composed of water, fatty acids and lipids, at a ph of 5 which is a bit acidic, protecting the skin from microbial invasion and alkaline challenges, from soap and other cleansers.
The hydrolipid seats on top of the epidermis, known as the stratum corneum.
Three Internal causes of Sensitive Body Skin
- Hormonal changes which can be due to menstrual cycle, puberty, menopause and pregnancy can all affect the skin’s resistance to irritants.
- Skin Conditions can also cause sensitivity to irritants such as atopic eczema, psoriasis and dry skin.
- Allergic reactions: Skin at times freaks out and that something doesn’t agree with your system. Be sure to always do a patch test. Constant fair ups, are often caused by genetic abnormalities in your skin carrier.
Three External Causes of Sensitive Body Skin
- High temperatures and humidity which causes the body to sweat more and evaporates, dries out the skin.
- Fragranced products are a common trigger for those with sensitive skin. Using Fragrance-free products, and that do not have masking agents.
- Cleaners and surfactants remove skin protecting lipids and lead to an imbalance in pH levels which cause erupted skin.
Prevent and Relief Sensitive Body Skin
- All of our products are vegan and use natural, clean ingredients. Using body wash cleansers and moisturizers that are gentle and contain natural ingredients can help stimulate enzymes to start protecting the body again.
- Choosing products that are naturally free of dyes and perfumes will omit any potential irritants. Our sensitive skin body care set includes naturally fragrance-free and wonderful products for helping with sensitive skin issues.
- Research suggests that foods high in antioxidants such as fruits, vegetables and nuts can help skin health.
- Change to natural fabric detergents and clothing which can prevent infections in intimate or general areas.
Shop The Story